Alex Peck Antique Medical Tools 

Sale Catalogue

Page 22

Below is a listing of a few medical and scientific antiques that are currently for sale.  Please feel free to send an e-mail or additional details and to place an order.

Click on the thumbnails for enlargements and additional views.

a.peck@mchsi.com

All pictures and text on this site are copyrighted 1982-2017 Alex Peck.  All rights reserved.

SALE CATALOGUE PAGE 22

Next Page

1.   2.   3.   4.   5.   6.   7.    8.   9.   10.   11.   12.   13.   14.   15.   16.   17.   18.   19.   20.   21.   22.   23.   24.   25.   26.   27.   28.   29.   30.

 

  168.  An 1850s quarter-plate daguerreotype of a young and earnest Andrew B. Spinney, M.D. (1835-1912), in three-quarter pose and holding a walking stick and leather medicine and instrument satchel. Dr. Spinney graduated in 1859 from the Cleveland Homeopathic Medical College, and the daguerreotype, no doubt, was taken at about that time. He was licensed to practice in Colorado, Michigan, Missouri, and Ohio. There is an 1863 reference in the Medical & Surgical History regarding his treating a Michigan soldier. Spinney died in Detroit and his JAMA obituary will be provided to the buyer. The doctor is identified by two documents that come with the image.  Medical daguerreotypes are rare and desirable.  SOLD

  169.  A c. 1860 Dr. Butcher's antique amputation saw.  An unusual feature of the Butcher is a blade that can be rotated to cut at any angle and beneath a flap.  Dr. Richard George Herbert Butcher (1816-1891), a Dublin surgeon of note, invented the instrument in 1851.  This is one of the more interesting and attractive nineteenth century surgical saws.  See Weiss 1863, pl. III, fig. 8; Tiemann 1889, p. 104, fig. 1604;  Bennion, p. 25 and fig. 10.  

 

 

  170.   A highly portable c. 1870s antique Dr. Sansom's clinical hypodermic syringe.  The pencil case of this compact antique subcutaneous injection syringe is sterling silver.  Dr. Arthur Ernest Sansom (1838-1907), of London, was an authority on heart diseases, antisepsis, and the use of chloroform.  SOLD

  171.  A c. 1880-1900 pair of antique dumbbells turned from maple.  The set makes for a fine antique physical therapy artifact.  Each is 9" long.

 

dumbbells, pair.jpg (117190 bytes)

 

  172.  A  World War I artillery part-shell casing that is professionally engraved: This shell was picked up on / MONT DURY / by Nursing Sister / OLIVE GOAD /  in the Spring of 1919 / NEAR THE PLACE WHERE HAROLD FELL / 2nd SEPT 1918.  Mont Dury, France, was the site of an August-September 1918 engagement between British and Canadian forces and the German army.  For more information about this battle in which the Canadian Corps suffered 5,600 casualties, click here.  A website dedicated to the history of the Canadian Nursing Sisters can be found here.  The brass 4.5 howitzer shell is manufacture dated 1915 and the firing charge is dated 9/17.  There are numerous other stampings, including CF (Charge loaded with cordite / Full charge) above the military property broad-arrow mark and a circled letter A followed by a dot, which indicates that the shell casing was reloaded twice.  This is a poignant medical-related memorial souvenir of WWI.

WW I, trench art,  Mont Dury, 1919.jpg (51166 bytes)

  173.   A quality pair of sterling silver-mounted brushes with the backs of each monogrammed L.B.T., the initials of  Lyman Beecher Todd, M.D. (d. 1902), a cousin and close friend of Mary Todd Lincoln, wife of President Abraham Lincoln.  Dr. Todd graduated from Jefferson Medical School in Philadelphia, in 1854, and he was at the deathbed of President Lincoln on April 14, 1865.  He witnessed Lincoln's autopsy, at the White House, and he played an important role throughout the President's funeral.  An old tag reads: Grandfather Todds (sic) / clothes brush.  These Lincoln-related artifacts recently came from the estate of Dr. Todd's granddaughter.

 

Todd, Lyman Beecher Todd, brushes.jpg (138266 bytes)

 

  174.  A  pair of c. 1850s antique dental extracting forceps by Klott & Wolf, Columbus, Ohio.  Edmonson lists both makers but not in partnership.  An alternate spelling of Klott (Klot) is noted in the actual markings of the instruments.  See Edmonson, p. 250.

dental, forceps, Klott & Wolf.jpg (140456 bytes)

dental, forceps, Klott & Wolf, detail.jpg (78613 bytes)

  175.   An articulated full-leg double incline splint made of wood and with fixtures of brass. The foot-rest is adjustable and the slits in the boards were used for attaching cloth tape which would hold the leg and foot tight. Pressed into the wood of the footrest is: L. ROES / PATENT / MAY 6 1844. A brass adjusting rod at the joint is missing. This is the earliest American-made splint known to this dealer. Exceedingly scarce. 

 

 

SALE CATALOGUE PAGE 22

Next Page

1.   2.   3.   4.   5.   6.   7.    8.   9.   10.   11.   12.   13.   14.   15.   16.   17.   18.   19.   20.   21.   22.   23.   24.   25.   26.   27.   28.   29.   30.

a.peck@mchsi.com

Archives       Articles    Home Page   Reference Books

Sale Catalogue    Wants